Friday, July 15, 2011

Strawberry Summer

Doesn't this just scream elfish-forest garden?  
I swear, little people could live beneath that greenery.
Strawberry tops for hats.

This is the first year that I've had a strawberry crop from my lakeside garden!  Even the garlic that I planted behind them came back (I had taken them for dead).  3 cups worth of tiny strawberries and there's more to come (I should check that out today).  We had them with a lemon-zest shortcake and whipped cream, courtesy of Ricardo (I love his Québecois culinary genius-ness).




That's the thing about gardening...there's lots of surprises.  Like the 4-petaled velvety purple flower on a long, spindly stem that popped up in my purple (and red and pink) fireweed and wild-rose garden.  I don't remember planting it, but there it is, right next to the rubble from our newly dug-out foundation.  Hence the importance and fun of maps.  Draw out your gardens, adapt the drawings as you add to and rearrange your plantings.  Oh, the excitement never ends...

No comments:

Post a Comment