Friday, July 22, 2011

Form Follows Function

And ornament is crime?  Design principles.  Hmph.


In this case, let me argue that the ornamentation speaks to the identity and values of the creator.  Nature, simplicity, yet something a little outside of the box.  There were too many baby blankets and quilts out there with "themes" that screamed "Not me!"  I didn't want any of it.

So to Mitchell's Fabrics I went.  Mitchell's is a hallowed-place of a fabric store.  Huge tables, wide wooden floors, staircases and beams straight out of the 1920s on Main Street in Winnipeg.  Not to mention a killer bargain and vintage section downstairs.

I didn't intend to buy these "baby fabrics" when I was there, but some things just buy themselves.  And now I have two functional quilts ready for a crib.  Today, I added the leafy window-frame to one of them.  Don't look too closely at the binding or check too carefully for the straightness of the quilting.  Better just to admire the fabric (blue-grey herringbone and a solid cream) and rub your cheek against its soft flannelette.  And dream...of a baby.




2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Meaghan! you're so talented (and patient)...This style is very Mtl-chique indie designer. Gorge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci, my love! I should make up a button for myself: "Mtl-chique indie designer". I like the sounds of it.

    As for patience, I don't have quite as much as our dear friend ;) ...you'll have to see the chenille quilt she created!

    ReplyDelete