Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Moab Mecca

Wind-swept, water-beaten, these rocks are shapeshifting sandstone wonders.  I have stealthily filled (Steve's) pockets with tiny red stone shards.  Not in hopes of death by drowning.  Instead, as samples for my kids and Mireille (beautiful friend and rocks and minerals coveter).

We scrambled up a couple trails in Utah's Arches National Park today, hopping from solid footing to solid footing, digging the tips of our fingers into crevices to help pull ourselves up.  And taking photos.  Many, many, many photos.  The digital camera is a blessing and a curse.  Fast, easy, convenience.  Too fast, too easy, too much.  I found myself wanting to go through my photos and tackle the task of deleting some at the Moab Brewery after dinner.  Not exactly food for conversation.  I refrained.

Some sights we saw:  the Devil's Gardens, which I would call the Devil's Playground.  Too much fun.  The courthouse with its trio of judicial looking towering columns.  The Delicate Arch, where we were assaulted by a very less than delicate wind (parents, hold tight to your children, waifs beware).

We are exhausted.  And off again tomorrow.

1 comment: